2019 Hurricane Guide
Protect Your Family & Home From Hurricanes
PREPARING YOUR HOME
- Install wind impact-resistant windows or storm shutters on all windows, skylights, doors and garages. Entry doors should be constructed of solid wood or hollow metal.
- Roof covering should be properly installed or clips retrofitted to withstand high winds.
- Brace garage doors – there are retrofit kits available to strengthen them. In an emergency, back up your car against the inside of the garage door to prevent it from “twisting” due to high winds.
- Keep gutters and down spouts clear and in good repair.
- Have proper equipment and teach family members how to turn off utilities (electricity, water, and gas) if needed.
Protect Your Employees & Business From Hurricanes
ADVANCED PLANNING AND PROPER INSURANCE ARE ESSENTIAL TO RECOVERY
Of all businesses that close down following a disaster, more than 25% never re-open their doors. While there’s no way to lower the risk of a natural disaster, there are critical measures that can be taken to protect your company’s bottom line from nature’s fury. A disaster plan and adequate insurance are essential to recovery.
The checklist below is a starting point for the types of issues your organization should be considering in advance of a storm as this year’s hurricane season begins.